During the winter ,Ladakh, is isolated from the whole country due to heavy snowfall. The only way to Ladakh is by air from Delhi. In winter the temperature goes down to 3o below zero and the mighty Zanskar river freezes. This seven to eight day trek from Chilling to Naerak over the Zanskar is both challenging as well as an unforgettable experience. The landscape acquires a pristine grandeur in winter as the trail enters into the gorge of the Zanskar.
Trek Duration : 9 Days 8Nights
Destinations Covered during Chadar Trek : Leh, Tilad D, Gyalpo, Naerak, Dibb
Chadar Trek Cost : Rs 22,500 (Ex Leh) + 4.50% Service Tax
What’s Included :-
- Accommodation during Trek(Camping) and 2 day stay at Leh in Guest house as per itinerary on sharing basis.
- Meals only while on trek (Veg)
- First aid medical kits
- Qualified and experienced Trek Guide and support staff.
- Tents & Sleeping bags
- Transport from Leh and Return as per Itinerary
What’s Not Included :-
- Wildlife Fee if any (There is no fee currently)
- ALTOA Fee
- Mineral Water
- Medical expenses (apart from first aid) and insurance of any kind.
- Mineral Water & any kind of beverages
- Airport Transfers
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like flight delay / cancellation / hike in fare, strike or any other natural calamities or any emergency evacuation expenses.
- Meals in Leh
DEPARTURES (All departures for The Chadar Trek are ex Leh)
- 21st to 29th January 2017
- 28th to 5th February 2017
Itinerary Detail (Chadar Trek)
Leh Day 1 – Arrival at Leh
Arrive at Leh and check into a hotel. Leh is a high altitude desert and it takes at least a day to acclimatise to these conditions.So rest in your hotel room and in the evening roam around Leh market. Leh is a culturally rich place. There are dozens of monasteries and ancient temples that you can go around. Overnight stay in Leh.
Tilad Do Camp Day 2 – Drive to Chilling roadhead and trek to Tilad Do camp 3100m
Post breakfast we will drive to Chilling from where we will start our Chadar Trek. The drive to Chilling – the starting point of Chadar trek is an adventurous drive. The ride is along the river Indus via village Nimu the place which is the confluence of the river Indus and the Zanskar. To reach camp one needs to cross the frozen Zanskar.
Gyalpo Day 3 – Trek to Gyalpo camp 3170m
After morning stretching exercises and breakfast our instructors will brief you on how to trek on the Chadar Trek. The Frozen Zanskar is hard as rock and slippery in the winter and trekking on this river can be quite challenging. We will stop for lunch prepared by our staff on the Zanskar which is an experience in itself. After passing Shingra Koma, you reach the camp-site for the day at Gyalpo, where tents have already been pitched by the porters.
Tibb Cave Day 4 – Trek to Dib Cave 3225m
Today we will start our trek after a nutritious breakfast.Today’s stretch of the Chadar Trek is around 14 km. Our destination for the day is Dib Cave. Dib Cave is big cave which provides shelter. We welcome you to the cave with a hot cup of ladakhi butter tea. Overnight stay at Dib Cave.
Nyeraks Camp Day 5 – Trek to Naerak Camp 3390m
Today we trek over deep gorges under the frozen Zanskar. You can hear the sound of water flowing beneath it. After trekking for a few hours we reach a huge waterfall. An old, dilapidated bridge on the river, which villagers claim to be more than 1,000 years old, marks Naerak.
Dib Cave Day 6 – Trek to Dib Cave 3225m
Naerak to Dibb: The same way back? Well technically ,yes. In fact the Chadar changes by the minute, and the colors and perspectives all change. Overnight stay in Dib Cave.
Gyalpo Day 7 – Trek to Gyalpo 3225m
We continue walking in the gorge, which is inaccessible in any other season and we come across some stunning frozen waterfalls.
Tilad Do Day 8 – Drive back to Leh from Tilad Do
At the end of an outstanding frozen river Chadar trek through the Himalayas, you are back to Leh. Overnight stay in Leh.
Leh Day 9 – Take your Flight to Delhi
List of Essential items for Chadar Trek 2016
- Backpack (Min 60 Ltrs) with Rain Cover
- Trekking Shoes. (Quechua Forclaz 500 M Wenge Men Hiking Boots (43))
- Gum boots
- 4 Pairs of Full sleeve shirts/T-Shirt and Track Pants (1 should be waterproof/windproof)
- 4 Pair of cotton socks. 3 pairs of wollen socks.
- 2 Full Sleeve Sweater (Quechua Forclaz 50 Fleece, Men’s Large (Black))
- One Heavy Down Jacket (Quechua Warm Down Ski Jacket, XXL (Black)
- Thermal Inners -2 Pair
- 2 pair water proof hand gloves
- 2 Pair woollen Gloves
- Sun Cap
- One Scarf
- Light towel
- Lip Balm
- Cold Cream & Sun Screen (SPF 40+)
- Water Bottle 1 Lt
- Headlamp or torch with fresh pair of batteries
- Personal Toilet Kit and toilet paper
- Personal Medicine Kit
- Dark Sunglasses (U/V protected)
- Walking Stick (At least one)
- People who were spectacles- Should avoid contact lenses and use use photo chromatic glasses