Garhwal or Gadhwal, is a district and managerial division of Uttarakhand State, lying in the Himalayan laps. It is limited on the north by Tibet, on the east by Kumaon district, on the south by Uttar Pradesh, and on the west by Himachal Pradesh. It incorporates the regions of Chamoli, Dehradun, Haridwar, (Pauri Garhwal), Rudraprayag, (Tehri Garhwal), and Uttarkashi. The regulatory community for Garhwal division is the town of Pauri.
The district comprises altogether of rough mountain ranges running in all bearings, and isolated by remote valleys which now and again turn out to be profound canyons or gorges. The main level bit of the region was a tight segment of waterless woodland between the southern slants of the slopes and the ripe fields of Rohilkhand. The most elevated mountains are in the north, the central crests being Nanda Devi (25,661 feet), Kamet (25,413 feet), Trisul (23,382 feet), Badrinath (23,210 feet), Dunagiri (23,181 feet) and Kedarnath (22,853 feet). The Alaknanda River, one of the primary wellsprings of the Ganges, gets with its prosperous the entire waste of the locale. At Devaprayag the Alaknanda joins the Bhagirathi, and henceforward the united streams bear the name of the Ganges. Development is essentially kept to the prompt region of the streams, which are utilized for purposes of watering system.
Garhwal initially comprised of 52 insignificant chieftainships, every boss with his own autonomous post (garh). Almost 500 years prior, one of these boss, Ajai Pal, decreased all the minor realms under his own influence, and established the Garhwal kingdom. He and his predecessors ruled over Garhwal and the adjoining condition of Tehri, in a continuous line till 1803, when the Gurkhas attacked Kumaon and Garhwal, driving the Garhwal boss into the fields. For a long time the Gurkhas led the nation with a bar of iron, until a progression of infringements by them on British region prompted the war with Nepal in 1814. At the end of the movement, Garhwal and Kumaon were changed over into British locale, while the Tehri territory was restored to a child of the previous boss. The British locale of Garhwal was in the Kumaon division of the United Provinces, and had a territory of 5629 sq. mi. Two contingents of the Indian armed force (the 39th Garhwal Rifles) were enlisted in the area, which likewise contained the military cantonment of Lansdowne. Grain and coarse material were sent out, and salt, borax, animals and fleece were transported in, and the exchange with Tibet was significant. The managerial central command was at the town of Pauri, however Srinagar is the biggest spot. It was a vital store, as was Kotdwara, the end of a branch of the Oudh and Rohilkhand railroad from Najibabad.