History of Uttarkashi District goes back to antiquated times, to the times of Mahabharata. This locale was possessed by slope tribes since old times. The slope tribes in particular Kiratas, Uttara Kurus, Khasas, Tanganas, Kunindas and Pratanganas discover references in the Upayana Parva of Mahabharata. The place that is known for Uttarkashi District has been held hallowed by Indians since ages where the diviners and sages had discovered comfort and otherworldly desires and performed compensations and where Vedic dialect was preferred known and talked over somewhere else. Individuals came here for learning Vedic dialect and discourse. By record given in the Mahabharata, Jada Bharata an awesome sage performed compensations at Uttarkashi. The Kedar Khand of Skanda Purana mentions Uttarkashi and Bhagirathi River, Jahnavi and Bheel Ganga.
Uttarkashi’s antiquated name was Barahat, which can be approximately explained into ‘extensive business sector’ showing that it was likely a prosperous business sector town previously. Potentially, this was the primary business sector town for exchange in the middle of India and Tibet. Researchers keep up that the name Barahat originates from the antiquated Trishul, which should be the wellspring of barah shakti (12 powers), and that Barahat is a defilement of the word “Barah”
By of this area, the locale of Uttarkashi was a piece of Panwar rajas’ region. The originator of Pal or Panwar administration was Kanak Pal, who came to Uttarakhand in ninth century AD, perhaps from Maharashtra. He wedded the little girl of Bhanu Pratap, a chieftain of Chandpur Garhi, and along these lines himself turned into the chieftain at this stronghold town. It was Raja Ajay Pal, Kanak Pal’s 37th relative, who set up the matchless quality of the Panwars in the wake of crushing the 52 chieftains who existed in Garhwal, in the mid-sixteenth century AD. He moved from Chandpur Garhi first to Dewalgarh and after that to his new capital, Srinagar. Meanwhile, the leaders of Garhwal united the force and size of their kingdom. Truth be told, Garhwal was an autonomous kingdom on which the compelling Mughals of Delhi had neither impact nor amazingness. The addition “Buddy” was changed to “Shah” some time in the seventeenth-century AD.
Further, history of Uttarkashi District additionally recommends that the area was a piece of Garhwal Kingdom decided by Garhwal line that conveyed the surname “Buddy” which was changed to Shah amid the fifteenth century presented by Sultan of Delhi maybe Bahlul Lodi. In 1803 Gorkhas of Nepal attacked Garhwal and Amar Singh Thapa was made Governor of this area. The Gorkhas came into contact with the British power in 1814. The fringe inconveniences incited the British rulers to attack Garhwal. In April 1815 Gorkhas were removed from Garhwal locale and Garhwal was attached as British area and was part up into eastern and western Garhwal. The eastern Garhwal was held by the British Government. The western Garhwal, misleading the west of the Alaknanda River except for the Dun was made over to the beneficiary of Garhwal administration Sudarshan Shah. This state came to be known as Tehri Garhwal and it was converged with the condition of Uttar Pradesh in 1949 after India accomplished autonomy in 1947.
After autonomy of the nation, when the kingdom of Tehri Garhwal converged with India, Uttarkashi was made an outskirt locale in the year 1960. The new locale procured significance in view of the two extremely critical journey focuses inside of it: Gangotri and Yamunotri, the wellsprings of the two blessed waterways, Ganga (Bhagirathi) River and Yamuna River.
Also, check out: